Thank you to the more than 90 people in Hong Kong, Singapore and the UK who took part in the inaugural Prospect Mentoring Scheme from October 2020 to March 2021.
Initially the programme was implemented to support industry professionals who were affected by the global pandemic. However, we were delighted to see that throughout its six-month duration, the benefits were far reaching – not just for mentees but also for mentors.
In a recent survey among participants, mentors said that hearing new perspectives and fresh ideas was the number one benefit of the program. While for mentees, the top benefits were sharing industry perspectives and providing guidance around career advancement.
We were really pleased to see that the programme was viewed positively by the majority of participants. At Prospect, we’re big believers in mentoring so it was particularly rewarding to introduce the concept and to see others derive value.
The survey also revealed recommendations to improve the initiative for the next round. These suggestions included:
- More guidance for mentees to better articulate their objectives
- The provision of suggested topics for each mentoring session
- Establishment of milestones for mentors and mentees to reach at key stages of the programme
- A networking session to encourage interaction among all mentors and mentees.
We love these suggestions and we’re excited to implement them in the next round of the Prospect Mentoring Scheme. Applications for mentors and mentees will open later this year, so stay tuned for the announcement.
In the meantime, here are some of the things people said about the programme:
- “Thank you so much for the opportunity to participate in this fantastic initiative and for launching when it was so desperately needed.” – Mentee
- “It’s a great experience for me to connect with people in the industry.” – Mentee
- “Truly thankful to you and your team for organising this. I would love to pay this forward and maybe be a mentor to those who are about to embark on a communications career journey.”- Mentee
- “The initiative by Prospect is an excellent one. And having a neutral party and fellow comms professional to talk to is invaluable.” – Mentor
For more information about the Prospect Mentoring Scheme – or to register your interest in taking part in the next round – click here.